From the Department of Water Resources:
The Department of Water Resources will be updating DWR Bulletin 74, California Well Standards and is convening a Technical Advisory Committee to guide the update.
Technical Advisory Committee
Committee members will represent a wide range of stakeholders and will convene from March 2021 to March 2022. The committee will break out in smaller groups to focus on specific topics. Those topics include the four well types included in the standards: Water, monitoring, cathodic protection, and geothermal heat exchange. DWR’s technical team will consider recommendations from the committee when updating the standards.
If you are interested in joining the committee, please email Sharon Hu, Kearns & West, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by October 9, 2020. Kearns & West is collecting the candidate list for the committee on behalf of DWR.
Public Review Process
Once the standards have been updated, DWR will release a public review draft and will hold public workshops to collect and consider public comments before finalizing the standards. DWR will submit the final standards to the Water Boards for adoption into the Model Well Ordinance. Following submission, DWR will train well designers, installers, inspectors, and regulators in the updated standards.
You can get involved in the update of the well standards in the following ways:
- Share ideas about improving the standards by submitting comments to the Bulletin 74: California Well Standards Comment Portal.
- Sign up for emailed updates and Bulletin 74 announcements.
- Email questions or comments to Bulletin74@water.ca.gov.
- After March 1, 2021, provide input to Technical Advisory Committee members.
- Provide public comments once the draft standards are released.