San Joaquin Valley – Madera
- Basin Name
- San Joaquin Valley – Madera
- Basin Number
- SGMA Basin Priority
- Critically Overdrafted
- Hydrologic Region Name
- San Joaquin River
Located in California’s San Joaquin River hydrologic region, the San Joaquin Valley – Madera is 347,667.39 acres in size. This High priority basin is home to an estimated 107,010 people (2010 value), which have been at a rate of 51.
San Joaquin Valley – Madera is a(n) basin with approximately 7231 wells, of which approximately 118 are water supply wells. Groundwater accounts for approximately 98 percent of the basin’s water supply.
2014: CASGEM basin prioritization – high. Comments: subsidence, critical overdraft, water quality degradation
2018: Draft basin priority – high. Groundwater level and subsidence comments:
- CRITICAL OVERDRAFT. Source: DWR 1) CASGEM/WDL/GWIDS: Longterm hydrographs show groundwater level decline. Source: DWR 2) Overdraft was estimated to average 143,000 AF/year over the period from 1980-2011. Future overdraft (2014 and beyond) is estimated to be 259,000 AF/year. The increase in overdraft can be attributed primarily to increased cropping, maturation of existing tree crops, and impacts from the San Joaquin River Restoration. Source: Madera Regional GMP-Final.2014.12.09.pdf
- Sources : 1) Current Land Subsidence in the San Joaquin Valley, USGS; 2) 2014 – Land Subsidence from Groundwater Use in California, California Water Foundation / James W. Borchers / Michael Carpenter, Luhdorff & Salmanini, April 2014; 3) Progress Report: Subsidence in the Central Valley, California, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, NASA 2015-16; 4) San Joaquin River Restoration Program / US Bureau of Reclamation monitoring
Groundwater Quality in the Shallow Aquifers of the Madera– Chowchilla and Kings Subbasins, San Joaquin Valley, California, U.S. Geological Survey, January 2018
2019: Basin boundary modification. Per DWR: It “revises the Madera and Kings subbasins boundary to follow the Madera- Fresno County line. The modification also includes Madera Lake within the Madera subbasin.” Phase 2 draft priority: high.
2020: January – draft coordinated Groundwater Sustainability Plan issued four GSAs that represent approximately 94% of the subbasin area: City of Madera GSA, Madera County GSA – Madera Subbasin, Madera Irrigation District GSA, and Madera Water District GSA. The remaining 6% of the Madera Subbasin is addressed through three (3) additional GSPs being prepared individually by Gravelly Ford Water District GSA, New Stone Water District GSA, and Root Creek Water District GSA